THE EFFECT OF COMMUNICATION ON ADMINISTRATIVE EFFICIENCY OF AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, AKWA IBOM STATE CIVIL SERVICE)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Communication involves the transfer of information ideas, opinions, facts and advices from one person to another but most importantly it involves the understanding of the idea transmitted so that they can act on it in the direction attended. Communication is so constant and underspread that one cannot escape its influence. One’s life is filled with communication situations. Even when one may not be speaking to others, ones appearance, eyes and body movement all represent communication. According to Dunham (1989:528).
“Effective Communication takes place when the information or messages received matches the information the sender intends to transmit”.
Since managers execute the management process of planning, organizing, directing and controlling through personnel to achieve the goals of the organization. It means that managers must communicate to be able to perform their managerial duty that results to the attainment of the goals of the organization. It is through information exchange that managers of organizations become aware of the needs of their staff, client, the regulations of the government and the concerns of the community.
In Nigeria, the government lays good emphasis in the communication method, it is for such reasons that the ministry of information and communication has been created. The ministry functions as a communicative tool to Nigerians living in and out of their country.
Communication has been created to create collectiveness and to maintain a cordial relationship among people of diverse cultures and background in case of Nigeria and people of different profession calling in case of organization or ministries.
Effective communication helps us in better understanding of a person or situation and enables us in resolving differences, build trust and respects, create environments where creative ideas are shared. The message to be sent must be simplified, cleared, brieved and accurate.
Effective spoken communication requires being able to express your ideas and views clearly confidently and concisely in speech, focusing on the audience and promoting free-flow communication. Communication is done in different means e.g the internet via the E-mail, telephone.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Without communication, people would truly be isolated and unable to give and receive ideas. Communication in organization is difficult and subject to misunderstanding because the message is often complex, transmission and reception condition are poor, and differences separate sender and receiver.
Managers in the organization accommodate information more than they can cope with which normally lead to communication breakdown, and time and resources are wasted in the cause of explaining some of the ideas.
In a corporate institution where there is no effective communication to convey messages to the workers, management tends to lack managerial ability and such institution stand at a risk of closing it image.
Ineffective communication is often caused by the complexity of a message which relates to conflicts about the content, the difficult nature of the subject, difficult working conditions and noise that are inherent in our working environment.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of study includes;
1) To examine the effect of communication on administrative efficiency of an organization.
2) To find out if communication has improved the administrative efficiency of corporate organization in Nigeria.
3) To identify factors that impends the smooth communication in corporate organization.
4) To ascertain the various means/methods of communication that a manager could use to improve efficiency in the organization.
5) To examine the various challenges that managers face in communicating with the different sections and workers within the organization.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1) What effect does communication has in administrative efficiency of an organization?
2) Has communication improved the administrative efficiency of corporate organization in Nigeria?
3) What are the factors that impends the smooth communication in corporate organization?
4) What methods/means of communication can a manager use to improve efficiency
5) What challenges do managers face in trying to communicate with the different sections and workers in the organization?
6) Could solutions be proffered in order to improve communication? process in administrative efficiency of an organization?
7) What are the concepts of communication?
8) What are the modes/process of communication that is suitable in an organization?