THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A STUDY OF ETINAN LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCIL)
1.1 Background of the Study
Within any organization, there are usually different positions and jobs. People occupying these positions have different perceptions, goals, thought and concerns. It is difficult to conceptualize a society or an organization without inherent differences and contradictions and these leads to conflict. Conflict can be a serious problem in an organization. It can create organizational climate that make it nearly impossible for employees to work together. Conflict is a natural and inevitable part of people working together and should be kept at a manageable level where it will not disorganize the activities of the organization towards the attainment of its objectives.
Conflict can also said to be beneficial to the organization where it brings about radical change in the organization existing power structure, current interaction pattern and entrenched attitude and also can lead to increase in productivity. While some conflict are functional other are not. It can also affect the organization negatively when it is associated with decreased employee. Satisfaction, insubordination, decreased productivity, leads to economic loss, fragmentation to mention but a few. It is the management major responsibility to device strategic in bringing down conflict as low as possible, which will enable the organization to still function to succeed (Robbin & Sanghi, 2005:418) against the background the study was being carried out on the negative effect of conflict.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Conflict is an inevitable act and it has been viewed as one of the problem that affects productivity in most organizations and firms. Most organizations are incapacitated to overcome conflict most especially managers. The prime reason is that most of them lack the pre-requisite qualities as management staff to tactically approach the issue or issues bordering their organizations. Such qualities include; managerial ability, lack of diplomacy in approaching issues related to crisis in the workplace and sometimes ignorance and lack of initiatives to attempt to stop or arrest conflict situation.
No organization could be said to function well in a conflict situation. Where there is conflict among management staff, it means that the subordinate staff will not be efficient in carrying out their duties. Since management staffs are the key holders of an organizational policy then, there is need for effective examination of the impact of conflict on organizational performance.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The overall study’s objective is to examine the impact of conflict management on organization performance with reference to Etinan Local Government Council. Specifically the study hopes to:
1. Ascertain the level in which conflict management could be said to exit in Etinan Local Government Council.
2. Ascertain the relationship between conflict management and organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council.
3. Access the impact of conflict management on organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council.
4. Access the factors that hinder effective the curbing of conflict management in organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council.
1.4 Research Questions
The research questions formulated to guide the study were;
1. What is the level in which conflict management could be said to exit in Etinan Local Government Council?
2. What is the relationship between conflict management and organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council?
3. What is the impact of conflict management on organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council?
4. What are the factors that hinder the effective curbing of conflict management in organizational performance in Etinan Local Government Council?