IMPACT OF JOB SATISFACTION ON ORGANIZATIONAL PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF ANCHOR INSURANCE COMPANY LTD, UYO)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Job satisfaction refers to the joy derived from during a job in which a person has a particular interest. This is what Herzberg, a motivation theorist called the job itself. Job satisfaction is usually associated with changing tasks which require a maximum utilization of the person’s ability and skill. When such factor is present in a job, the job holder achieves a high level of satisfaction.
The impact of job satisfaction on organizational productivity can be seen in an employee who is motivated to increase his productivity in jobs in which he possesses necessary skills. These skills enable him to enjoy satisfaction. A person who does not possess the necessary skills to do an assigned job may derive little or no satisfaction from the job. This situation often leads to frustration, boredom and stress which may in turn result in various defensive behaviours. For instance, a qualified accountant in a bank who is employed as a clerk is being blocked from deriving the joy or satisfaction that will lead to his self actualization. A. A. Chikere and J. C. Okafor 2012.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The study tends to find out how job satisfaction create or ensure full impact to the success of an organization. The smooth flow of job satisfaction range from organization to organization as no challenge could be said as been fixed or paramount to any organization.
Money stands to be a strong and hindering factor to the smooth running of any organization fringe benefits. This also form a vital problem employee loses adequate efficiency if some benefits are not been attached to their salary as maybe specified by the organization e.g. could be health insurance etc. if been attached it foster the full compliance of the organizational goals and objectives but when not be practice it pose to become a problem.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study aims at examining the impact of job satisfaction on organizational productivity. The specific objectives include the following;
1. To examine the cost benefit analysis of the application of job satisfaction on organizational productivity.
2. To know the extent to which job satisfaction affects organizational productivity.
3. To ascertain the extent to which job satisfaction has enhanced organizational productivity in an organization.
4. To identify the impediment associated with job satisfaction.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
To act as a guide to a through investigation of the following questions were asked;
1. Does job satisfaction lead to increase efficiency in production.
2. Does job satisfaction have direct impact on organizational productivity?
3. Is there any significant relationship between job satisfaction and organizational productivity?
4. To what extent has job satisfaction enhanced organizational productivity in an organization?
5. Is there any cost benefit the application of job satisfaction on organizational productivity?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
1. Ho: There is no significant relationship between job satisfaction and organizational productivity.
Hi: There is a significant relationship between job satisfaction and organizational productivity.
2. Ho: Job satisfaction does not have direct influence on organizational productivity.
Hi: Job satisfaction has direct influence on organizational productivity.
3. Ho: Job Satisfaction does not lead to increase efficiency in production.
Hi: Job satisfaction lead to increase efficiency in production.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The findings of this work would be very vital to management of Anchor Insurance Company Ltd, Uyo. The significance are as follows:
1. It would serve as a source of information to management of other organization other than insurance company Ltd.
2. It will help management and staff of Anchor Insurance Company Limited, Uyo in formulating policy which will help in providing the working conditions of employees and also help trainees in any organization to undergo different training to meet the challenges of their various jobs.
1.7 SCOPE AND LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study is restricted to job satisfaction on organizational productivity in Anchor Insurance Company Ltd, Uyo.
The limitations of this study sis as follows;
1. The financial constraint and the time requirement needed in this study were never easy on the researcher.
2. The general part of the respondent made in data gathering is a difficult task. In spite of these constraints, the researcher made a satisfactory effort to generate enough needed data for this research.